Summer is here and how!! Nothing like a chilled chocolate smoothie or a chocolate ice cream to beat the heat right? Let’s up the nutritional quotient too, shall we? :) So we add banana and honey, and keep the smoothie and ice cream sugar-free; howz that? Sounds tempting? ;-) Take a look at chocolate banana smoothie and ice cream recipe by my hubby, Kalpesh.
Now a days natural sweeteners like stevia in liquid form are also available and can be used to sweeten things up a bit and also not worry about harmful effects of sugar free sweeteners.
Chocolate banana smoothie recipe is easy-peasy; ice cream recipe needs a bit of patience. Kalpesh is trying to convince me to buy an ice cream maker like this one. But even if you don’t have one, you can still make the ice cream using the technique used by Kalpesh. Hope you enjoy these healthy desserts.
Chocolate Banana Ice Cream and Smoothie
- 4 ripe bananas
- 200 ml pack of amul fresh cream
- 4 tsp cocoa powder Kalpesh used Cadbury’s
- 1/2 tsp honey optional
- Peel bananas and cut into pieces (approx. 1-inch pieces).
- Add chopped bananas, cocoa powder, cream, and honey in a blender. (Read the note about fresh cream below.)
- Blend to make a thickish paste/purée.
- If you want to make a smoothie, add 5-6 ice cubes and blend.
- Add 3-4 cups of milk and blend. Your smoothie is ready. (You can decide how much milk to add depending on the desired consistency of the smoothie.)
- If you want to make an ice cream, transfer the purée to an airtight container and keep it in the freezer for half an hour.
- After half an hour, remove the container from the freezer and stir the purée using a spoon. (Move the spoon in clock-wise motion.
- Start from the outer edge of the container, moving inwards.)
- Refrigerate for another half an hour and then repeat the previous step.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 every half an hour to ensure that the mixture doesn’t become hard.
- After about 4 hours you will get “ice cream like” consistency. Enjoy the sugar-free ice cream without any guilt.